Frequently Asked Questions


Crime-Related Information 

How do I report a crime in progress on Capitol Grounds?

Anyone in the Capitol Complex needing to report an emergency should call 911 from a landline.

If calling from a cell phone within the Capitol Complex, please use the following phone numbers: 

U.S. House of Representatives       (202) 225-0911

U.S. Senate                                         (202) 224-0911

Library of Congress                           (202) 707-7111


How do I Sign Up to Receive certain Capitol Police messages through Alert DC?

The United States Capitol Police has a strong partnership with DC’s Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency (HSEMA).  During significant planned or no-notice events, the Department may contact HSEMA with certain messages, such as for major road closures, police activity, and life-safety events.
HSEMA, on behalf of the USCP, may target specific, nearby neighborhood user groups, such as the Capitol Hill user group, with that important information.
Those signed up for the Capitol Hill neighborhood group in their Alert DC profile would receive USCP alerts provided to HSEMA.   To sign up for Alert DC, visit


How do I make a donation to the United States Capitol Police Memorial Fund?

Donations may be made using the secure Government portal or checks may be made out to the United States Capitol Police Memorial Fund.  Donations may be mailed to:  United States Capitol Police, 119 D Street, NE, Washington, DC 20510, Attn:  Office of Financial Management.

How do I pay a ticket or fine?

If you have received a Notice of Violation or a Notice of Infraction and wish to “admit” to the violation or infraction and pay the fine, please visit the District of Columbia tickets and fines services and resources website

If you have received a traffic violation and wish to pay the ticket, please visit the District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles

If you have been arrested by the U.S. Capitol Police and given a ticket called a “PD-61D,” you must either elect to forfeit the collateral amount set for the specific charge, or request an arraignment date to contest the charge. This must be done within 15 days of the arrest. Payment of the collateral amount must be made in person at U.S. Capitol Police Headquarters, 119 D Street, NE.  The Prisoner Processing Section is accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Should you have specific questions, please call (202) 224-9788. 

How do I obtain a police report?

To request a public document, contact the USCP Reports Processing Section at (202) 228-4585.  No other police reports other than public documents will be provided.


Visiting the U.S. Capitol and Prohibited Items

How do I get to the U.S. Capitol?

There are multiple transportation methods to get to and from Capitol Hill. Please see below for more details. Additional information may be accessed on the Getting to Capitol Hill page.

Metro (subway)
There are three Metro stops within walking distance of the U.S. Capitol:

  • Capitol South – Located at First Street between C and D Streets, SE
  • Federal Center, SW – Located at the southwest corner of Third and D Streets, SW
  • Union Station – Located at First Street, NW, and Massachusetts Avenue 

Bike racks are located on the West Front of the U.S. Capitol; by each of the House Office Buildings; between the Russell and Dirksen Senate Office Buildings; and near the entrance to the U.S. Capitol Visitor Center along First Street, SE, and First Street, NE. 

There is minimal public parking available near the U.S. Capitol. The nearest public parking facility is at Union Station, to the north of the U.S. Capitol. Metered street parking can be found along the Mall to the west of the Capitol Complex, and along South Capitol Street. 

The Metrobus system has multiple routes that include stops near the U.S. Capitol, as well as the DC Circulator having two routes (Union Station – Navy Yard Route and National Mall Route) include stops near the U.S. Capitol. 

What items are prohibited in the U.S. Capitol, U.S. Capitol Visitor Center, or on Capitol Grounds? 

Prohibited Items on the U.S. Capitol Grounds

  • Pursuant to the United States and District of Columbia Criminal Codes, firearms, dangerous weapons, explosives, or incendiary devices are prohibited on U.S. Capitol Grounds.

Prohibited Items in the U.S. Capitol & U.S. Capitol Visitor Center 

  • Bags exceeding the size of 18” wide x 14” high x 8.5” deep.
  • Firearms to include replica guns and ammunition.
  • Weapons (to include but not limited to):  Black jack, sling shot, sand club, sandbag, knuckles, electric stun guns, knives (of any size), martial arts weapons or devices.
  • Pointed objects to include but not limited to razors, box cutters, knives, knitting needles, letter openers. Pens and pencils are permitted. 
  • Explosives and explosive devices to include Molotov Cocktails, components of a destructive device, and fireworks.
  • Mace and pepper spray.
  • Liquid, including water; open and empty clear or translucent bottles, cans, food, and beverage containers are allowed.
  • Aerosol containers.
  • Non-Aerosol spray except for prescribed medical needs.
  • Sealed envelopes and packages. (Please see Couriers & Packages page for more information)

For additional information regarding prohibited items in the Congressional Office Buildings and in the House and Senate Galleries, please click here.

What can or can’t I do on the Capitol Grounds?

Guidelines have been established to ensure events and certain activities held on U.S. Capitol Grounds are conducted in a safe and secure manner while also ensuring the Congress can conduct its business.  

The type of activities that require permits on U.S. Capitol Grounds are, but not limited to:

  • Demonstration (Rally, Vigil, etc.)
  • Filming/Photography (Commercial Use)
  • Foot Race
  • March
  • Musical Performance

For more information, visit the Activities Requiring Permits page.

How do I get an event permit?

To apply for an event permit, please click here.

What events are happening at the U.S. Capitol?  What if there’s bad weather?

There are a number of public events and activities that occur throughout the year on the Capitol Grounds.  Please visit the Public Events page for a listing of events that are free and open to the public.  Please visit the USCP Media Center for more details prior to each scheduled event, including a list of prohibited items.

For general information about special events on the Capitol Grounds, call (202) 228-0117, and select option 5. 

In case of inclement weather, information about event cancellations will be disseminated through the local media, and may be posted on the USCP homepage. 

I lost a personal item while visiting the U.S. Capitol. Is there a lost and found?

To inquire about lost items while visiting the U.S. Capitol, U.S. Capitol Visitor Center, U.S. House of Representatives, U.S. Senate, or the Library of Congress, please call (202) 225-4200.

I’m a commercial tour bus driver.  Where am I allowed to drop off my passengers at the U.S. Capitol?

Tour buses are to follow specific routes that are detailed below.  For a map and additional information, please visit the Getting to Capitol Hill section. 

All commercial buses are prohibited from accessing the following areas on U.S. Capitol Grounds. This policy does not affect public transit buses, or sightseeing trolleys:

  • Independence Ave., between Washington Ave., SW and 2nd Street, SE
  • Constitution Ave., between Louisiana Ave., NW and 2nd Street, NE
  • 1st Street between D Street, NE and D Street, SE
  • 1st Street between Maryland Ave., and Independence Ave., SW
  • 2nd Street between D Street, NE and D Street, SE

Tour bus operators must adhere to the following vehicle regulations:

Tour buses may ENTER U.S. Capitol Grounds at:

  • 3rd and Maryland Ave., SW
  • 3rd and Pennsylvania Ave., NW

Tour buses may EXIT U.S. Capitol Grounds at:

  • 3rd and Maryland Ave., SW
  • 3rd and Pennsylvania Ave., NW
  • 1st and Louisiana Ave., NW

LOADING and UNLOADING of passengers MUST occur at the east curb of:

  • 1st and Maryland Ave., SW (east curb of Garfield Circle)
  • 1st St., SW/NW between Pennsylvania and Maryland Avenues
  • 1st and Pennsylvania Ave., NW (east curb of Peace Circle)

Traversing Constitution Avenue, Independence Avenue or First Street and Second Street, NE/SE in front of the U.S. Capitol is prohibited. Tour bus standing, idling or parking is not permitted. 

Jobs with USCP

How can I start a career with the USCP?

To join the U.S. Capitol Police, please visit the USCP's career site, APEXHere you can view current USCP job vacancies. The USCP strongly encourages all prospective applicants to review the minimum qualifications, application process, and selection process prior to applying, to best determine suitability with the requirements and conditions for a position.

For more information, please visit the Careers page.


What types of training will I have to complete to become a U.S. Capitol Police Officer?  How are U.S. Capitol Police Officers selected?

Applicants selected to participate in USCP training will begin classes and training immediately upon hire, while receiving full pay and are appointed to the rank of Private. Generally, the first week of training will consist of orientation at the Capitol Police Training Academy in Cheltenham, Maryland. Trainees typically will participate in 12 weeks of intensive training at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) in Georgia. ​After graduating from FLETC, trainees will return to the United States Capitol Police Training Academy in Cheltenham, Maryland, for 13 weeks of specialized training.  All trainees are required to fully participate in all physical training activities while at the Capitol Police Training Academy and FLETC.   

Graduates from the Academy are appointed to the rank of Private with Training, and next are assigned to an experienced training officer in the field to continue their skills development through on-the-job experience.

For details on the USCP officer selection process and the Physical Readiness Test (PRT), please click here


Do you have an internship program?

At this time, the U.S. Capitol Police does not have an internship program. However, some USCP Bureaus and Offices may offer unpaid internships, generally during summer months. For more information, contact the Office of Human Resources at (202) 593-3370.

Can’t find what you need?  

Please use the search function at the top of the web page, or contact the Public Information Office at or (202) 224-1677.