- How long is new recruit training?
- If you get injured during training, is that an automatic disqualification or what happens?
- Is housing provided during all phases of training?
- What happens when I graduate from the USCP Academy?
- Does training continue throughout your career?
The USCP training process is broken down in to four distinct phases. As you examine the phases, keep in mind that from day ONE you are on the USCP payroll for the starting base salary. Each phase is listed below:
- Orientation (Cheltenham, MD) – This is a 2 week process and serves as your introduction to the world of Federal law enforcement. During this phase you will receive ID cards, fill out health insurance paperwork, and complete several other administrative tasks. Applicants will be responsible for their own room and board during this phase of training.
- FLETC (Glynco, GA) – This phase of training is 13 weeks long and will take place at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA. This is broad spectrum Federal law enforcement training and serves as the foundation for your career in law enforcement. During this phase, applicants will receive FREE housing, food, clothing and equipment.
- Agency Specific Training (Cheltenham, MD) - This phase of training is 14 weeks long and will take place at our training center in Cheltenham, MD. During this phase recruits will learn the policies and procedures specific to their career with the United States Capitol Police. This is not a live in academy and recruits will be responsible for their own living expenses.
- PTOP Program – The final phase of training is an 8 week on the job training program. Newly graduated officers will be assigned to veteran training officer (PTO). This program is designed to support and compliment the training provided by the Training Services Bureau.
- If you are injured during training, we will make an attempt to recycle you into an upcoming class while you are recovering from your injury.
Housing is only provided while in training at the Federal Law enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA or Artesia, NM. Trainees are responsible for finding housing in the local area at their own expense while in the USCP Training Academy in Cheltenham, MD.
- Upon graduation, recruit officers are promoted to the rank of Private with Training and scheduled for an additional 8 weeks of training with a Police Training Officer. Once training is completed, new officers are generally assigned to one of divisions within the Uniformed Service Bureau where they complete a one-year probationary period.
Yes. The USCP has a robust “in service” training program. This ensures that all officers are up to date on their certification, tactics, policies and procedures.