President Barack Obama’s State of the Union Address
|United States Capitol Police||Chief Phillip D. Morse, Sr|
|Public Information Office|
|119 D Street, NE|
|Washington, D.C. 20510||January 21, 2012|
On Tuesday, January 24, 2012, President Barack Obama’s State of the Union Address will take place in the U.S. Capitol at approximately 9:00 p.m.
Restricted Access - Capitol Square
The Capitol Square will be restricted to event credentialed and authorized pedestrians only beginning at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 24, 2012.
The U.S. Capitol Police will put the following street closures affecting vehicular traffic into effect on January 24, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. and will lift these street closures when this event has concluded:
- North Side of Capitol Square
- D Street, NE between 2nd Street, NE & Louisiana Avenue, NW
- C Street, NE between 2nd Street, NE & Louisiana Avenue, NW
- Constitution Avenue between 2nd Street, NE & Louisiana Avenue, NW
- Delaware Avenue between Columbus Circle & Constitution Avenue, NE
- New Jersey Avenue, NE between Louisiana Avenue, & D Street, NE
- Pennsylvania Avenue between 1st Street, & 3rd Street, NW
- East Capitol Street between 2nd Street, & 1st Street, NE/SE
- 1st Street between Columbus Circle, NE & C Street, SE
- 1st Street between Louisiana Avenue, NW and Washington Avenue, SW
- South Side of Capitol Square
- Maryland Avenue, SW between 1st Street, & 3rd Street, SW
- Independence Avenue between 2nd Street, SE & Washington Avenue, SW
- C Street between 1st Street, SE & Washington Avenue, SW
- Delaware Avenue between Washington Avenue, SW & C Street, SW
- New Jersey Avenue between Independence Avenue, & D Street, SE
- South Capitol Street between Independence Avenue & D Street, SE/SW
Public and staff-led tours will be suspended at noon on January 24, 2012. The Capitol Visitor Center (CVC) will also close at noon. Tours will resume on a normal operational schedule on Wednesday, January 25.
Tour Bus Rerouting
Tour buses will be rerouted from First Street between Constitution Avenue, NW and Independence Avenue, SW to Third Street, between Constitution Avenue, NW and Independence Avenue, SW for passenger drop off and pick up for this event.
If there are any questions about these events or security procedures, please contact the United States Capitol Police Public Information Office at 202-224-1677.
* * * * * *
|Sergeant Kimberly Schneider|
|United States Capitol Police|
|Public Information Officer|