Street Closures Regarding the National Peace Officers' Memorial Service
|United States Capitol Police||Chief Terrance W. Gainer|
|Public Information Office|
|119 D Street, NE|
|Washington, D.C. 20510||Immediate|
The 22nd Annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service will be held on Thursday May 15, 2003 at Noon, on the West Lawn of the United States Capitol. The Service will honor law enforcement officers who give their lives in the line of duty in the year 2002.
Due to the nature of the event, additional security precautions will be taken to ensure the safety and security of those in attendance. All individuals attending the event will be required to pass through security screening before entering the event site.
In addition, the following streets will be closed to unauthorized traffic beginning at 12:01 a.m. (Midnight) until 3:00 p.m.:
- First Street between Constitution Avenue, NW and Independence Avenue, SW.
- Pennsylvania Avenue, NW between First Street, NW and Third Street, NW.
- Maryland Avenue, SW between First Street, SW and Third Street, NW.
From 11:30 a.m. until 1:00 p.m., the following temporary restrictions will be in effect in addition to the above:
- Independence Avenue between First Street, SE and Washington Avenue, SW.
- Constitution Avenue between First Street, NE and Louisiana Avenue, SW.
- New Jersey Avenue, NW between Constitution Avenue and Louisiana Avenue, NW
Congressional staff in possession of valid ID will still have access to their designated parking areas.
* * * * * *